Saturday, February 14, 2009

This is art?

This sculpture is located about 1 block from our house, just outside of the Folly Theatre. Every time I walk by it I get goosebumps because it is SO disturbing.......they call it art, I call it freakin' creepy!!.
This is from the Kemper Art Museum's website:

Part of Michael Rees's "monsters" series, Putto 2x2x4 features an 18-foot sculpture accompanied by a two-minute animation on a 6-foot by 9-foot outdoor video display. The work stands just west of the historic Folly Theater at 12th and Central Streets in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. As the animated figure dances through a variety of contortions and wrestles with itself, passers-by are confronted with the grandeur of Rees's surreal assemblage—a monster with two legs, two large fingers, and four small toes. A native of Kansas City, Rees embraces new media technology for his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment