Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fender Bender

Many of you have heard by now about my little "incident" on Mike's birthday...I think I nearly gave him a heart attack! I was driving home from work on I-29/35 as usual, with moderately heavy traffic, and right before the Paseo bridge some lady decides to cut across 3 lanes of traffic as all of the cars ahead of us were slowing. She rammed into the guy behind me, which then pushed that car into me from behind. The lady's car was totaled, the guy in the middle had a smashed trunk and crumpled up hood, and I got a dented bumper. THANK GOODNESS my car sits up pretty high because it allowed the guy behind me to just smash into the bottom of the bumper and slide underneath me instead of coming on into my backseat. Luckily, I had been paying attention to traffic and had plenty of room ahead of me so that I wasn't really in any danger of getting pushed into somebody else. Also, luckily, nobody got seriously hurt.

The worst part about the whole thing was that it happened on Mike's birthday, just as I was planning to take him out for a date. We ended up having to stand on the side of the road in 100 degree heat for 2 HOURS with no shade, waiting for the KC, MO police to show up!!! I couldn't believe it took them so long to respond to a 3 car pile-up accident in such a heavily traveled area during rush hour. I actually called 911 FOUR TIMES, before the officer showed up! Finally, on my last call to 911, I had to pull out the pregnancy card and tell them if they didn't send somebody soon, they might as well send an ambulance because I was about to have a heat stroke...

It was determined that the lady in the back was at fault (duh!) so everything was turned into her insurance company. Piece of cake right? Well, yesterday I found out that she does not have enough liability coverage to pay for repairs to BOTH my car and the guy in the middle's car. So, a little piece of advice for all of you out there...double check your insurance policies to make sure you have enough liability coverage so you don't risk being taken to court for being underinsured and if you have the option to purchase insurance for when the underinsured hits you-do it!

1 comment:

  1. You are an accident magnet! Since I've known you (not that long!) I think this is the 3rd accident? None of which were your fault? Good thing baby car seats are so safe these days!

    ReplyDelete