Monday, July 6, 2009

A little gift from the Suburbs!

I don't know why I ever worried about the squirrels while we lived downtown, especially after these little gifts I found tonight!


Note the damage done! Tomato twigs!
And the culprit...the tomato hookworm...which doesn't look very sizeable here, but are actually about 4 inches long and bigger around than my thumbs! Gross!
I'm SO MAD! My tomatoes are demolished!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm Molly Lund's sister, Betsy.

    I had to comment when I saw these pictures. 5 years ago, we found these on my Mom's tomato plants. I ended up taking the hornworms into my classroom because my 2nd graders were studying insects.

    I know you hate them (and I would, too, if they ate MY tomatoes), but what these things do is pretty amazing! They will burrow under the ground to make their cocoons. Before they do that, you'll see them resurface a few times & they turn whitish/brown after being out of the sun. I continued to keep them in an aquarium just to see what would happen. 3 months later, these LARGE, beautiful moths emerged from the soil! They had a wingspan of 5 inches & were amazing! We let them go after my students all got to see them up close.

    I haven't seen any since then, so I'm glad I watched them through all their stages then. Sorry you didn't get any veggies this year :(

    ReplyDelete